What makes an Adventure Session different?
Adventure Sessions are more than just an engagement shoot. We go out and do what you love to do together or something that perhaps you’ve been wanting to do for a while. Hike a new trail? Try a new coffee joint? Whichever it is, I’m down!
When Natasha & Darryl asked me if I’d be down to shoot their session out on Bowen Island, I could hardly contain my excitement. I packed the guy and fur baby with me and off we went for a weekend adventure. This year, we have travelled around all the little islands, first to the Sunshine Coast, then Tofino and now Bowen. All of them had one thing in common, friggen friendliest people out there!
Our plan was to meet for brunch and basically play tourist for the rest of the day. I met Natasha and Darryl at the ferry dock. It’s the only main way people go to and from the island, so you really can’t miss it! From there we headed over toThe Snug Cafe where they made the yummiest breakfast ever (yes they also have gluten free options!).
Being teachers of elementary school kids, both N&D had an explorer in each of them. We walked the little town, then headed up on a small trail which would lead us to Dorman Point. They observed the shells and rocks in the sand beneath their feet as we walked along the beach. Along the way, Darryl would call out the names of the different types of plants and berries and which ones you could eat. They danced and giggled in each other’s arms all the way back down.
We met up with my better half and headed out to check out what Artisan Square was all about and found ourselves in a little chocolatier shop. We shared little chocolates and sipped on some hot & cold chocolate. What a perfect way to spend the afternoon!
The first little stretch of beach we had walked on was right next to the dock and so there really wasn’t much beach to see so we did a final drive out to one Ty and I had found the day before called September Morn Beach where we enjoyed the view of Vancouver with no one else around us but the sunshine.
We wrapped up our Bowen Island Adventure day at a little restaurant along the main street with our car parked right in front waiting in line for the ferry. Sangrias for all!
If you have an idea in mind for your Adventure Engagement Session, I’d love to hear it. Not sure if we’re the right fit? Book an Adventure Session first! If you like what you see, you can upgrade to a wedding package later on. If not, well hey, no hard feelings and you still get some awesome photos!
Things you should know if you’re planning to go to Bowen:
- You cannot pre-book a ticket on the ferry – show up early (at least 60 minutes beforehand)
- It takes 20 minutes to get there – you could practically swim across!
- The speed limit in town (basically the first block) is 20km/h – the rest of the island is 40km/hr
- It takes around 15 minutes to drive across – going 40 that is
- There are deer all over the island – be careful not to hit them!
- People here are the nice, courteous and friendly – be sure to smile and say hello!
- The Snug Cafe makes amazing breakfast and they have gluten free treats 🙂
- The site doesn’t say this, but if you have a tiny dog like ours (3lb Chorkie), you can bring your dog on the kayak with you as long as it has a life jacket.
- You can get your dog a life jacket at Bowen Pet Supply!!!
- The Dorman Point hike only takes about an hour if you’re strolling – the last hill is a bit steeper than the rest
- Artisan Square is a neat little spot for those creatives or just to stop in for a nice hot or cold chocolate
- September Morn Beach is not a far drive from the ferry and you can see the mainland from there
- Cates Bay Beach is nice too! – Watch the tide, it was coming in in the evening and our stuff almost got swept away!
JMESHOOTS | BOWEN ISLAND ENGAGEMENT PHOTOGRAPHER
My name is Jamie Poh and I have 8 years experience in the industry and have shot over 50 weddings & family sessions. Getting married? I’d love to hear your story!